Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2012

Ready Player One

I just finished reading this absolutely great book and I am still pretty much excited about it. As I read the original, English version, I figured I might as well keep this entry in the same language due to respect and for the fun of it.
First of all, I totally am in love with this book. In a way, now that I finished it, the feeling I have is quite similar to what I felt after having watched Scott Pilgrim vs. The World for the first time (and it still feels great watching it again). Actually, a few things even reminded me of that movie, which is probably not intentionally the case, but just my own interpretation. Still, this is a written declaration of love to the true geeks and nerds (and also to 80's pop culture, of course) amongst us, to whom I consider myself being a part of, at least to some extent. Even though I did not get all the references to movies, music or even games, I had a great time reading the book and there were still quite a lot of things I did know about or had at least heard of.
Ready Player One could be seen as a game that became a written story. There is the greater main quest, finding the Easter egg, but there are also sub-quests (like a love story - every good tale needs a little emotion, isn't it?) who often distract the hero from his hunt and thus delay his progress. Most of the story takes place in a virtual surrounding, called the OASIS (Ontologically Anthropocentric Sensory Immersive Simulation) which is described as some kind of evolution of today's MMO's, with the difference that everybody is able to be in the same game at the same time, not spread on different servers. The OASIS features a vast universe with thousands of planets to explore and even games built on them as three-dimensional versions to be played with yourself as the hero. People are being represented as customizable avatars that can, like in a role-playing-game, rise in level, becoming stronger and better to be able to fight other avatars or participate in quests.
Over the course of events, the story that emerges achieves the task of getting better and better, up to the ultimate climactic final battle, the figurative last stand of good versus evil. Honestly, I was on the edge of my seat through the last pages. I really hoped that everything would turn out well in the end and the heroes would win. Actually, I guess you might be able to break down the story arc into quite typical units and even find most of the "Hero's Journey" elements, but it is the way in which they are presented that makes Ready Player One such a wonderful book.

There is also a very nice passage about perspective, that I'd like to quote:
"Whenever I saw the sun, I reminded myself that I was looking at a star. One of over a hundred billion stars in our galaxy. A galaxy that was just one of billions of other galaxies in the observable universe. This helped me keep things in perspective."
That's just really neatly put, now, isn't it?

1 Kommentar:

  1. Schön ist auch: "Das erste eigene Spiel zu schreiben war für einen Jäger (in OASIS) ein Initiationsritus, so wie für Jedi die Konstruktion ihres ersten Lichtschwerts." saz

    AntwortenLöschen